The Concordia Bowlers was established in 1973 as part of the Outdoor group. They became independent in 1976 under the leadership of President Gerhart Gurksi. The group continued to grow and became one of the Concordia Club’s largest membership groups.
Presidents over the years include:
- 1976 - 1979… Gerhart Gurksi
- 1980 - 1981… Fritz Schultz
- 1982 - 1986… Lilli Neu
- 1987… Lotti Mehnert
- 1988 - 1989… Karin Kruse
- 1990 - 1991… Rudi Helfinger
- 1992… Helga Engel
- 1993 - 1996… Heinz Nowak
- 1997 - 2005… Peter Bergen
- 2005… Helmut Koeckritz
- 2006 - 2011… Robert Nowak
- 2012 - present… Frank Kauck
The group belonged to the German Canadian Bowling Association for many years. The GCBA arranged several annual bowling tournaments which the Concordia Bowlers took part in. They had the opportunity to travel to places like Cambridge, Guelph, Toronto, St. Catharines, Brantford and Hamilton, meeting fellow bowlers along the way. The best part of these tournaments were the bus rides to and from the events. It was definitely party time!
The Bowlers have many events happening throughout the bowling season (September to April):
- At Oktoberfest, they have a Nailing Booth which raises money for the group. And in 2022, they introduced their Axe Throwing and Cornhole Booth.
- The Turkey Roll happens a couple of weeks before the Christmas Banquet and a winner from each team walks away with money to purchase a turkey for their Christmas dinner.
- Each member always looks forward to their Christmas Banquet.There is a lot of eating and singing. Santa even visits with presents for everyone.
- There are Fun Nights where the Bowlers dress up. Themes have been Luau Night, Carnival Night, and Halloween. And don’t forget the fun of Cosmic Bowling.
- At the Closing Banquet awards and prizes are given to the Season Champs, Play Off Champs, and to those bowlers (both male and female) with the highest average, high triple, high single, high single over average and high triple over average. Prizes are also awarded to the most improved bowler and, of course, the biggest award goes to the Skunk winner.
- Year end trips are also planned where the group can have a blast with their fellow bowlers, friends and family. They have been on various outings, including an Ottawa River Cruise, a trip through the Lockport Locks and Erie Canal, as well as outings to Frankenmuth, Medieval Times, Pelee Island, Port Dover, and various dinner shows and theatrical performances.
Sometimes, they just want to have some fun socially and have gone on a Sleigh Ride followed by a chili supper, played Mini Golf, toured Doon Pioneer Village, or simply just hung out together.
The Concordia Bowlers bowl every Friday @ 6:30 p.m. at Victoria Bowl.
To learn more about the Bowling Group, please contact us using the form below.