Concordia Club Facts
Did you know...
- In 1971, there was a great fire that burned the clubhouse down to its foundations. It was reconstructed and opened again in 1972.
- To honour the Concordia Club, the city of Kitchener/Waterloo named a park in Forest Hills in 1973 called “Concordia Park”.
- The Kitchener/Waterloo Oktoberfest attracts over 1,000,000 visitors annually.
- The Thanksgiving Day Parade, held on Thanksgiving Day is the only major parade on this holiday and is televised nationally.
- Kitchener/Waterloo has a long history of German heritage. A large portion of the community is of German heritage, and many still speak German.
- The Board of the Concordia Club purchased the Concordia Farm in 1965.
- The Concordia Club was a leading member of the organization "Trans Canada Vereinigung fu ̈r Deutsch Kanadier” which became the “Trans Canada Alliance” in 1951.
- The Concordia Club hires around 250 people to help out during Oktoberfest.
- The charter of the Concordia Club states that the club should first and foremost be dedicated to the preservation of the German language, German customs and traditions.
- The first Miss Concordia was Dolly Vogel in 1974.
- All the woodwork in the “Schenke” and “Weinstube”, such as the ceiling beams, door and window frames, and corner benches was crafted by our own members. The wall and ceiling panelling in the “Jagerstube” was also crafted by our own woodworking team (Paul Kuntz, Werner Metzger, Willi Rahn Wendelin Hasner).
- Jack Kentel created the natural stone in the “Jagerstube”.
- Heinz Loewenberg created the design and carried out the silk-screening on the ceiling panels of the “Schenke”, the “Weinstube” and the upper entrance hall.
- The impressive wall murals in the building were designed and applied by Otto Werner.
- The rod-iron components in the chandeliers and bar stools were hand crafted by Ferdinand Staab.
- The Royal Canadian Mounted Police gave the Concordia Club a beautifully engraved sword which adorns a wall in the “Jagerstube”.